It may be a new year, but as a Louisburg, NC based lawyer I know it doesn’t feel like a blank slate for everyone. However, a great way to start this year is by working towards expungement. According to the North Carolina Justice Center Organization, a criminal record is what prevents individuals from finding a job, affordable living, family support, and a number of other issues. If you need a law firm that is on your side, contact Batton Law to help you. Though you might be thinking,
“What exactly is an expungement in the state of NC?”
Generally speaking, it’s the “destruction of a criminal record by court order.” When granted, which is rare, it returns an individual to their status before they were accused of a crime. If there is a possibility of expunging your criminal record in Louisburg, NC, our law firm would love to help you. We know that it could finally mean that you have a fresh start. With that in mind, here’s a guide to expungement to see if it could maybe be a solution for you.
Who Can Be Expunged from Their Criminal Records?
The short answer is “a limited few.” In North Carolina, our Louisburg, NC based firm acknowledges the three schools of records that could be expunged:
- A first-time, nonviolent offense committed more than 15 years ago
- A first-time offense committed under age 18/22
- A charge that was dismissed or disposed “not guilty”
What are the Expungement Statutes?
To look more specifically at the statutes to see how they could help you, here’s a list for you to look at.
- Juvenile Record: NCGS §7B-3200
- Misdemeanor Under Age 18: NCGS §15A-145
- Gang Offense Under Age 18: NCGS §15A-145.1
- Controlled Substance Under Age 22: NCGS §15A-145.2
- Toxic Vapors Under Age 22: NCGS §15A-145.3
- Nonviolent Felony Under Age 18: NCGS §15A-145.4
- Nonviolent Offense: NCGS §15A-145.5
- Prostitution Offense: NCGS §15A-145.6
- Charge Resulting in Dismissal or Not Guilty: NCGS §15A-146
- Identity Theft: NCGS §15A-147
- DNA Records: NCGS §15A-148
- Pardon of Innocence: NCGS §15A-149
Want to Learn More?
Do you feel that you deserve to be expunged from your criminal record?
Contact Batton Law for legal advice from a lawyer in Louisburg, NC on expungement or any of our other practice areas. Learn how expungement can change your 2017 today.
Tags: attorney louisburg nc, criminal defense attorney louisburg nc, drinking citations lawyer louisburg nc, lawyers louisburg nc, louisburg criminal attorney, louisburg lawyer, louisburg nc lawyer, traffic lawyer louisburg nc